Please familiarize yourself with the attendance information listed below. If you have any questions, please contact Elizabeth Briggs, Attendance Clerk at HPMS or Tina Nettelton, Attendance Clerk at MIS.
- Please note that with the new security now in place, the school doors will be locked at 8:30 a.m. After that time an entry button at the front door must be pressed to gain access to the building.
- Any student arriving after 8:00 a.m. must go first to the 7/8 Office to sign in and turn in a note from you explaining the reason for being late.
Same Day: Leaving From and Returning to School
- Any student who is leaving before school ends (3:15 pm) must provide a note from the parent/guardian stating the time and the reason for leaving. This note must be presented to the 7/8 Office before school starts.
- This note will be exchanged for a “Release from Class” permit which allows the student to leave the classroom to come to the office. Prior to the beginning of the class the student will be leaving early from, the student must show the permit to the teacher; then at the designated departure time the student will leave class and go to the 7/8 Office.
- In an effort to minimize classroom interruptions with phone calls from the office asking for students we ask that the student be responsible for leaving the classroom and coming to the office at the designated time.
- The school requires the parent /guardian to come into the 7/8 office to meet their child. This is in order to better protect students when checking out of school.
- It is the responsibility of the student to ask for and make up all missed work.
Returning to School After an Absence or an Appointment
- Students returning to school must come first to the 7/8 office with a note from the parent stating the reason for the absence. The note will be exchanged for an “ADMIT TO CLASS” permit.
- Students returning to school after an appointment with a doctor, dentist or health care professional must come first to the 7/8 Office with a note from the health care provider. This note will be exchanged for an “ADMIT TO CLASS” permit.
- It is the responsibility of the student to ask for and make up any missed assignments. The student is given one day for each day absent to make up the work before late grades are given.
- After 3 consecutive days of absence, assignments may be requested by the parent/guardian through the counseling office (214/780-3640) by 9:30 a.m. on the morning of the 4th consecutive day of the absence. Any assignments will be sent to the counseling office and will be available for pick up after 3 p.m. The work will be labeled with the student’s name and placed in the wall pockets located inside the Counseling Office. The Counseling Office opens at 8:00 a.m. and closes at 4:00 p.m. Monday – Friday.
- Daily assignments are available on teachers webpage.
Excused and Unexcused Absence
- A student will be excused from an absence for a variety of reasons. Among these reasons are:
- family weddings
- religious holiday (and travel for that purpose)
- death in family
- serious family illness
- medical appointments
- A student will be unexcused from an absence for a variety of reasons. Among these reasons are:
- Failure to provide a note upon return from an absence (a student without a note will be provided a “PROVISIONAL PERMIT” allowing the student 24 hours to provide a note). The “Provisional Permit” does not excuse the student.
- With the exception of truancy, an unexcused absence requires that the teacher(s) give a “no grade” on daily work missed and that the student be allowed to make up any major grades taken during his/her absence.
Attendance is taken each class period. Upon arriving or returning to school, students need to bring a written excuse from their parent/guardian or a health care professional explaining the absence. If a student brings a note from the health care professional following a doctor, dentist (or other health care professional) appointment, that student will be given credit for the classes they missed and the absence will not count against them. The student will need to be present part of the day for this to take effect. See HPISD Code of Conduct, Appendix A: Attendance and Classification of Absences.
Note: Please allow extra time if you are picking up your child during their P.E./Band/Orchestra class. It takes longer for the students to get to the office from these classes.