MIS Principal Dr. Skip Moran and HPMS Principal Jeremy Gilbert drew a crowd at the Sept. 10 PTA meeting. The informational presentations detailed what items students and teachers will enjoy this year, as well as what is on the horizon for MIS and HPMS students, including:
- building additions, flex spaces, science labs and refreshed classrooms
- playground coming in October - the first of its kind in Texas!
- Language Arts program with a more interactive approach that focuses on students choosing books just right for them, increasing reading volume, stamina and more
- approach to making better use of the advisory time with homework, team building, life and study skills
- Spanish offering for fifth-graders
- 12 new teachers and coaches
- numerous additions to the building, including journalism and multimedia room, foreign language lab and a state-of-the-art band hall
- 36 new classrooms full of active learning furniture so that all teachers have their own classrooms
- new classes like the outdoor adventure program and study skills
- more intentional and structured advisory time
Members agreed that it's going to be a wonderful year at MIS and HPMS due to great leadership and teamwork among teachers, staff, students and parents.